Credentialing Tips

Can an Intern Level Counselor Bill Insurance if Under Supervision?

posted Sep 7, 2012, 5:57 AM by AJ Centore

Q: I recently watched your webinar for ACA, which was informative and helpful. I’m in the beginning stages of opening a group practice. Currently I have all independently licensed therapist who are credentialed and paneled through insurance companies. A lot of insurance panels are requiring an independent license in order to be credentialed. I keep hearing the rumor that if a PC is being supervised by a PCC-S then it can be billed under the PCC-S. Is that true? That doesn’t seem right or ethical… or does it? Thanks in advance. I was glad to hear I was doing a lot of the right things when I walked away from your seminar.

A: That's a good question. I hear queries like this often. The short answer is that a provider must be fully licensed to accept insurance, and that being under supervision is not an adequate workaround. That being said, sometimes in hospitals or 'community health centers' (larger mental health facilities that have reached a higher than usual level of certification with the state) intern-level counselors (or providers of other types) can bill a limited number of insurance companies (usually government insurance plans). For example, in Massachusetts, in some community mental health centers intern-level providers can bill mass health under the umbrella of the facility. 

I hope this helps!!

1-1 of 1